2010 THEME: NEW SHARP THRESHING INSTRUMENTS!
TEXT: ISAIAH 41:13-18
FOCUS: BECOMING EFFECTIVE INSTRUMENTS IN THE HANDS OF GOD…
TEXT: ISAIAH 41:13-20, JOHN 17:4, ACTS 20:24, 1TIM.4:7-8.
Behold, I will make thee a new sharp threshing instrument having teeth: …Isaiah 41:15
As we consider the theme text in this bible studies we will be focusing on the latter part of it. We will notice that the idea God seems to be expressing to us is that of effectiveness. New sharp threshing instruments having teeth connotes effective instruments. God wants to make men who will deliver, who will do all His will, exactly what God wants them to do, at the right place and at the right time; who understand exactly what God has called them to do, become all that I intended them to be, who realize that they have a course to finish and are all about giving their all to complete it. They are not frustrating to work with, slow, exasperating, vexing, and wearisome.
This men and women will be men like our Lord Jesus Himself and the Apostle Paul who will be able to say confidently at the end of their lives ‘I have glorified thee on earth I have finish the work you have given me to do…’, ‘have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith….’ Such men are needed for the hour.
Therefore in this study we will be looking at how we can train ourselves to become such desirable instruments in the hands of God in executing His agenda in these last days on earth. But before then, we will seek to look at the biblical based resources ,potentials (especially now that we are born again) and the generational opportunities that God has made and is making available to us, and the threats and opposition that stand in our way in becoming such instruments as well as how to overcome them.
I pray that the Lord will grant us not only insight but grace to be the kind of persons He made us to be!
I.OUR BIBLICAL BASED RESOURCES AND GENERATIONAL OPPURTUNITIES
Discover in the following scriptures the nature and operations of some of these resources and how several men have applied it in their own time to make effective impact in their generation.
- Resources and Opportunities Available in Christ
(I) the Holy Spirit, Joh 7:39, lk 4:1, Acts 10:38 (II) the Word of God, Prophecy (III) faith and hope (IV) Prayer, access to the father Mt 21:22,Ro 5:2,Eph2:18,3:12 (V) the amour of God Eph 6:13-18
- Personal, Relational and other Resources
(I) marriage Ec 4:9-12 (II) Older leaders (III) the Church (fellowship of the brethren) Mt 18:18, Ps 133 (IV) youthful age Ec 12:1-7 (V) peers (like minded brethren) 1Sa 18:1-4;20:3-12 (VI) enthusiasm for God (VII) Biblical knowledge and wisdom (VII) Positive idealism
- Generational Opportunities
(I) Christian resources and increased knowledge (II) Technology, ICT (III) good transportation (IV) wars, natural disasters, poverty, corruption etc (V) HIV/AIDS
- THREATS AND OPPOSITION THAT STAND IN OUR WAY TO PREVENT US FROM EFFECTIVELY FULFILLING THE WILL OF GOD
Identify how each of the following can constitute a threat and opposition to effectively fulfilling the will of God identifies also specific ways of dealing with each……… Can you identify more threats and the way to deal with them?
- PERSONAL AND THREATS AND OPPOSITIONS
- Sin, flesh/old man, manifest in many ways such as doubt and unbelief, fear, anxiety and worry, discouragement and despair, pride and soul energy (self confidence), prayerlessness, presumptions, excessive, sleep laziness, procrastination, indecent pleasure, lust (sexual, for food and money), obsession with vanity, materialism, love of the world, greed etc.
- Attitude and dispositional threats, such as Abandoned consecration and devotion to God, lack or loss of focus, smallness of heart, lack of vision and unbelief, apathy towards heavenly things, familiarity with God, carelessness, lukewarmness, apathy, negative confession, wrong use of tongue, unfaithfulness and misuse of God’s resources etc
- RELATIONAL AND GENERATIONAL THREATS AND OPPOSITIONS
- The world system could be through intimidation, mockery, blackmail, pluralism, secularism, cynicism, religion new age movement, unhealthy entertainments,
- Unhealthy spiritual and social relationship, lack of discipleship, idolization of leaders, wrong relationship, marital disharmony and unequal yoking
- SATANIC AND DEMONIC THREATS AND OPPOSITIONS
- Demon activity– e.g. demons of lust, pride and greed etc.
- Sickness, affliction, persecution, direct and indirect manipulation, deception and attack etc.
A.PRACTICAL WAYS OF BECOMING SHARP THRESHING INSTRUMENTS
Discuss the following practical steps in becoming effective instrument and agents of Change wherever we are.
- Keep your connection point intact Joh.15:1-7, i.e. your fellowship and communion with God. You can’t do or become anything if you miss out on this!
- Practice; (I) to walk in Faith 2Cor.5:7, Ro.5:17 (II) walk in the Spirit Ro 8:14, Gal.5:25 (III) Walk in love Eph.5:2,1Th. 3:12 (IV) Carry His presence, Acts.10:38 (V) walk the resurrection life Ro.6:6, Gal.2:20 (VI) believe God for the miraculous Acts.3:1-1 (VII) Divine Ownership 1Cor.4:1-2; 6:19-20
- Set a clear goal and course for your life; Lk.9:5, Isa 50:7 plan your life and activities. Act. Don’t react! Don’t drift! Don’t be distracted!.
- Finish what you have started, Lk.9: 62, Joh.9:4. Don’t let your good intention past its sell-by date, carry a sense of urgency, and commit to complete the task!
- Connect with others De 32:30, Mt 18:16, Php 3;17, 2Th 3:9, build strong and useful relationship, network with other Agents of Change, older and more matured leader’s.
Suggest more practical steps.
B.YOUR HEART IS THE HEART OF THE MATTER!
You will discover that for all men that became sharp effective instruments and agents of Change in their generation there was something about the kind of heart they possessed. And if we must be like them we must also trust God to give us their kind of heart.
- They possessed a heart that is filled with passion for the glory of the Lord God of Israel and His people.1Sa 17.26,36, Jg 6:13, Ps 63:2, Jer 9:1, La 2:11, 18, Ro 9:1-3. Joh 11:35. Their hearts that were filled with love and compassion for lost and perishing; they were not contented about their lives and the situation around.
- They possessed a heart that burns with love for righteousness and hatred for iniquity Ps 45:7, Ac 17:16,
- Their hearts were free from every entanglement. Mt 13:3-8; 18-23,2Tim 2:3-5, Lu 21:34, 24:38, Col 3:2,1pe 1:3; 4:1, 7. Such as worry, anxiety, fear, doubts and the affairs of this life etc. They were not ruled by vain affections, strange lust or passions. They were clear minded and focused on God and His kingdom.
- They possessed a strong sense of urgency and burden to make impact wherever they went. 1 Co 9:16, 2 Co 10:16, Mr 1:38, Ac 16:10, Joh 9:4, 2 Ti 4:2 their hearts were hearts of fire!
Heaven is counting on you, our generation is waiting for you. So many lives and destinies are tied to your life. You have no excuse in fact you are not permitted to fail. You must finish your course; you must fight the good fight and keep the faith. The whole heavens are mobilized to help you on your way. The entire creation is fighting on your behalf you. Every resource has been made available for you.
The host of hell put together cannot match your strength and opportunities. Nothing can stop you! No power on earth nothing in hell!
Awake! Awake! Put on your strength o Zion!